Saturday, August 28, 2010

BAD TWK



In 1979 my father purchase a brand new Chevy Stepside in black with a gray interior. Before he even brought it home for me to see it he put baby moons on it and put in a tube grill.

The first pic is of me with the car in '79 wearing my Plano Wildcats t-shirt (I graduated from Plano Sr. High in 1986).

As you can see in the next pic the temporary paper tag is still in the back window. Next to the truck is my mom's 1978 Vette.

The little vette was a go kart...the one that some of my friends will remember hearing about because I was chased by the police in it.


My dad got personalized plates for the truck that said "BAD TWK." That stood for "bad truck" by the way.


This was soon followed by shaving all the trim and emblems off, wire wheels, pin stripes, and a fiberglass Hickey Blazer hood.



Steve, the guy that painted my 32's, did all the body and paint on the car, my dad did the rest.

Then next set of changes came in the form of a painted Blazer front bumper, vinyl top, and the El Camino cut down rear bumper...

Next up was a blower and an appearance in Hot Rod Magazines "PICKUPS & mini-trucks" Special.



The truck was started in the tail end of the 70's when excess was the thing and street freaks ruled but rolling into the 80's, the era of graphics and neon, the truck got an update.






My dad showed the car on the ISCA circuit and I had a ton of fun going to all those shows and hanging out. Before he sold it I did get to take it out by myself one time with a buddy and see how it ran...it ran real good!

The truck was sold when my dad started to focus more on street rods and it met a sad sad fate.

I was driving between college in Denton, Texas back to Plano and to my folks place one day and saw it on a lot off 121 just as you came out of Lewisville.

The hood was gone, the motor was gone, the paint was faded, the truck had been crashed into something, and the top was torn.

I stopped to look at it and it was behind a fence. It was on a car lot or body shop (can't remember now) on the North side of 121 right before you cross over the bridge coming out of Lewisville heading for the Colony. Nobody was around and I did not have a camera, so I just looked at her from behind the fence and felt bad for her.

I am sure she went to the junkyard never to roam again. She had her glory days in car shows and cruising, but it stinks to see that somebody spent money to buy it and then went and basically destroyed it.

2 comments:

bob_o said...

Just came across this post after digging around for pics of '73-'80 Hickey hoods. Your Pop's truck was a bad mf! The pic of it on wires and raised white letters with the black paint and striping is absolute perfection! Almost exactly what I've been visualizing for my '75 GMC.

It's a real bummer to learn of it's fate, but bitchin' that you have so many great photos of it's transformation! Thanks for sharing 'em! Cheers :)

King Voodoo said...

Thanks for checking it out! Good luck with yours.