Sunday, December 13, 2009

My 1932 Five Window

I said I would post the history of my 32 so here ya go.

First off, how I got the car.

The 32 sat in a guys backyard for years. Many people knew of it (I was not one of them) but nobody could get it bought. It sat under a shed with a cover and the gentleman also had a 32 roadster, four door sedan, and other cars.

A good buddy of my dads knew the guy and about the car and knew I wanted an upchopped five window. When the owner was convinced to sell his roadster our buddy told him about me and he said we could come "look" at the five window.



It was love at first sight! (The above picture is on the driveway at my Dad's when we got it home)

When we arrived I was told he was not really wanting to sell the car. He told me he had gotten it from another guy back in the 60's and could not really remember any names anymore. He said everybody wanted the car and he had refused many offers on it.

Then he started showing me old pictures and his cool stuff. As he warmed up to me he asked me why I wanted the car and what I was planning to do with it. When I told him my "gold vision" he decided I was "all right" and that I could buy the car.

He said it would upset many people with "standing offers" but he felt I would take care of her. The deal was struck and the next week we picked her up. This was back in very late (and cold) 2000, so I got it before the 75th of the Deuce was over!


Years later a member of my car club who is collecting history about Texas hot rodding stumbled across pictures of my car at Caddo Mills Drag Strip in 1957. The frame and other details gave it away.


We have the guys first name now that had the car back then and probably built it, and people sorta remember him when you rattle the ol' memory but beyond that nobody knows what became of him. I have posted that pic before but here it is again posted above.

What we do know it the car almost went from being a drag car to a circle track car and was abandoned in mid stream. It would likely never of survived that duty so lucky for it this never happened.

When we drug it home the tearing down began right away.


The car's construction actually moved at a really good pace.

Here the car is in the color sanding stage followed by some final build shots with my daughter wearing her "infamous" pink racing gloves. The racing glove pics were posted on the HAMB years ago and she became pretty well known for the pics for awhile. Looking back it is hard to believe she was that little back then.


That's my old mans noggin in the above picture. I hope the glare don't blind ya!



Pink racing gloves rule!




Above: Finished! (Except for minor details like brakes not working real well yet!)

When the car was completed it's first show was not even in Texas. We put the car on a trailer and took it to Back To The 50's in St. Paul MN. and had a good time. The car was not running right and the brakes were not working but she made it from the hotel to the car show and it has never been on a trailer since.

Here she is in front of the main exhibitors building in 2003.


Driving the car led to the removal of the slicks, they were just too crazy for the street.



Eventually the chrome reversed wheels led to Radirs.


Car has over 7000 miles on it now and never misses a beat.



It has been to the Lone Star Round Up several times, other Texas shows, and Oklahoma (mini nats).


Details:

Car runs a 330 HP 350 with a Turbo 350

Nine Inch Currie Rear

So Cal Frame with the So Cal Disc Brake set up

Radir Mags currently wearing Diamondback Tires

Paint and Body by Steve Donnell

Major work and time/money put in by my dear ol' Dad

California Gold Paint (a late model F body color)

Pearl Gold and Tan Tuck and Roll Interior

Shift Knob by McPhail (Tiki Devil)

Antique Tool Box turned into a battery box

2 comments:

Dave said...

Merc....I love your deuce....it reminds me so much of my own(You probably saw it on my site...scroll wayyy down). I was such an ass for selling it but I do have my A-bone to fill its place....I've said it before...Your's is the coolest deuce 5-window around. Love the Radirs too...think they'd look great on my "A". I am still in contact with the guy that bought mine in Rockford Ill., and get a chance to see it often...but it's not mine anymore. Don't ever sell it...you'll regret it.
Stay cool...Dave

Jeff Norwell said...

Beautiful 5 winda!.... love all the details,fit,finish and stance!
very nice!!!

Jeff