Monday, May 4, 2009

She was so fine, my 409!






Sometimes you have to let a car go in order to have another one. With some regret I let my 1962 Bel Air go in order to finance the Goofy Grape roadster. I have always loved bubble tops, pure and simple. My favorite was and is the 62 Bel Air. I dreamed of tearing up the roads like Dyno Don in one, but they are not the most common of cars to come across.


I finally stumbled across one I could not pass up and it was a killer ride. Up front let me say I did not have a hand in building this car, it was bought. The story was the old guy that built it had passed, but he had turned it into one heck of a 409 clone.


Yes, I said clone...I ain't one to pass a car off as something it is not.


The car was originally a white with blue interior six banger. The story relayed to me by the person I got the car from was the ol' timer that built it found a wreaked 62 409 Impala and he took everything from that car to turn the lowly sixer into a 409.


He also hunted down the other proper parts and I will tell you this, I bought a book that had all the numbers and codes for a 62 with a 409 and this car was a numbers matching clone with every single part being correct.


From the block, carb, tranny, rear end, and so on is was a 62 409! This car could have been passed off as the real thing it was so good. One change of a trim tag and vin and it would have been hard to prove it was not. It was a great clone, and an awesome car. You have not lived until you have throttled a 409.

The Beach Boys were right, they were fine.


If I ever win the lotto, I will have another one.


My love for 32 Fords sent this one down the road and it was worth it, but I would be lying if I did not admit that I miss jumping in her and roaring through the night.

For a short period of time I did have two Beach Boys songs covered...Little Deuce Coupe and 409 and that was kinda cool!

2 comments:

Michael said...

I know it was hard letting go of this one! Thanks for letting me take it around the block before you got rid of her!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with LinkShrink and earn money for every click on your short links.